I have a new favorite shell: fish.
Fish is awesome for variety of reasons, but primarily because Fish:
- Emphasizes command and parameter discovery, as well as overall usage transparency with truly useful default settings, over tweakability. (After all, who really has time to trick out the shell on every damn box you log into?)
- Has extremely powerful default tab completion and history search.
- Highlights syntax with pretty colors.
- Has multiline editing that actually works.
- Simplifies directory navigation. (Aspects of which remind me of the old AmigaDOS CLI.)
Be sure to check out the fish change log for insight into recent-ish enhancements. Some very cool though obscure features in fish.