After doing an
emerge world on an older box I get:
* Messages for package sys-libs/com_err-1.40.4:
* PLEASE PLEASE take note of this
* Please make *sure* to run revdep-rebuild now
* Certain things on your system may have linked against a
* different version of com_err -- those things need to be
* recompiled. Sorry for the inconvenience
In other words, “This update is going to break your system.
We kind of screwed up. Something changed. Here’s how to fix it.”
So now I don’t have to google around frantically trying to figure out why
randomserviced is suddenly failing. And the Gentoo guys even apologize.
Honesty, transparency, and humility in software. Go figure.